Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Love Affair with Coconut

I love coconut. In fact, I might go so far as to say I'm obsessed with it.

Number one, it is SO FREAKING good for you! It's full of lauric acid, which is a medium-chain fatty acid with anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. It's a great immune booster. Its oil is perfect for stir frying because it has a smoke point (unlike olive oil, which is actually NOT good for cooking at high heats, because the oil goes rancid). The oil can also be used as a skin moisturizer and has been shown to have AMAZING results, and as a hair conditioner (I can attest to the fact it works AAAAAAAA-MAZINGLY for this!) It is great in smoothies, baked goods, stir fried dishes......basically, I use it in EVERYTHING.

So you can imagine how much I was in heaven today when I made this Raw Coconut "Tapioca," inspired by Elana. Ohhh yes, you heard me right. COCONUT...TAPIOCA....mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Here's the low-down:
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 1 15 oz can coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 tsp or so vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp or so honey
  1. Put cashews and coconut milk in blender and blend until smooth.
  2. Add vanilla and honey to taste.
  3. Put chia seeds in a large mason jar, add coconut milk mixture, shake vigorously, and refrigerate.
In a couple of hours, you should have what is the equivalent of a dairy free, raw, coconutty, absolutely divine "tapioca" pudding! It really is amazing how much the consistency is like real tapioca....and the coconut milk and cashews make it SOOOOOOOO creamy and delicious......WOW. I LOVE THIS STUFF. And it's so easy to make!

I highly recommend it :-)

Have a lovely day....hope the weather for you is as GLORIOUS as it was here today!

No comments:

Post a Comment