Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Back from the Dead

Well hellO there!!!

Remember me?

I wouldn't blame you or be at all surprised if you didn't.

After I finished chef training, life changed in CRAZY ways and I got caught up in all of it for a long time.

Then...something exciting happened....I found out I'm *going to be published!*

Yes, you heard it right - some of my recipes are going to be published!! That's all I can say for right now, but I'll give you details later when I can ;-)

Because of this publishing thing, I have been using my recipe-writing energies on that, rather than on blogging.

But then, upon the urging and suggestion of a close (and critical) friend ;-) , I realized I should still keep blogging, and include more health information, with snippets of recipes here and there!

Sooo, for your taste-bud pleasure, today I have come up with a recipe for you! YAYYY!!! I think it's the perfect solution for getting enough greens, but still not feeling like you are eating summer foods. It's a sufficiently Fall-ish salad! Enjoy :-)

Leafy Cranberry Steak Salad
Servings: 1



Ingredients:
1 large leaf kale, shredded into bite-sized pieces
1 glug olive oil
dash salt
1 large handful fresh spinach
1/2 pound beef tips or other steak, cooked
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/2 onion, sliced, carmelized in olive oil and a pinch of salt
handful fresh cranberries
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider or red wine vinegar
1 splash balsamic vinegar
salt, onion powder, and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine kale, olive oil, and dash of salt. Using your hands, "massage" olive oil into kale for about 30 seconds, until kale is tender.
  2. Place kale and spinach on large plate. Add beef and caramelized onions, and scatter walnuts and cranberries on top.
  3. In a small bowl or glass, combine olive oil, vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and spices. Whisk well.
  4. Drizzle over salad and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Man, have I missed this. 1: I love salads with meat in them...and this is about as meaty as it gets. 2: When you include pictures, it makes me happy. 3: What the hell is a "glug"? It sounds like a swallow, or a gulp. Which makes me think that the only way to properly measure a "glug" is to fill your mouth until you feel like swallowing, and then instead of swallowing, drizzle oil and saliva onto the salad. Which I don't think is what you mean so an explanation is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting Kmo!! I'm way proud of you! That salad looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A "glug", mister Montgomery, is exactly that. You get the bowl of kale, take the bottle of olive oil, and give it one shake in, as you hear the delightful sound of "glug!" Then, you should have enough olive oil :-)

    Besides...isn't "1 tablespoon olive oil" just way too boring and commonplace to expect me to use when I could say "glug" instead??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous Karen! I will definitely be trying this..and I WILL be using your "glug" method.

    P.S. I'm glad you're blogging again...it makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete