Friday, July 30, 2010

Final Presentation - Done and DONE!!! :-D

Well folks.......I have officially finished my final presentation for culinary school!!! Now, this doesn't mean I'm done...QUITE yet...but I'm done with all the big things I am personally responsible for.

It was a written report (ended up being 13 pages) and a 45 minute oral report including a cooking demo of 2 recipes. We had to report on a health topic, come up with a 5 day menu plan that would be supportive to that health condition, come up with recipes for 2 of them and demo them, run a cost analysis for per-serving costs for both recipes, create handouts for each student, write a bio....uhhh and I did a Powerpoint too, b/c that's just how I am ;-)

I signed up to go first. Because, let's face it, I am SO READY to be done! Secondly, because my dear friend is coming this weekend, and I wanted to be free to have fun with her!

It went soooo well, I could not have asked for more! I wasn't nervous in the least, which was very impressive...I've never had to present anything that long before, but it was perfect. I was just myself, crackin jokes, giving info, teaching how to cook....I loved it :-D And everyone said I ROCKED IT!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!

Now...just have our culinary showcase on August 13th, and my entire business plan due the 16th...HA! It'll get done. And all my stupid move-out junk from this godforsaken house with its psychotic landlord and people who are cheating me out of all my time and money aaaaaaand...but we won't get into that now ;-)

My lease ends the same day as my showcase. EEK! Pray for me!

But God has totally taken care of me up till this point (He always does!), especially today, I just gave everything to Him and it went awesome! So it will all be good :-)

And now to repay you for reading my random drivel....the recipes I made today for my presentation! They are both delish, not gonna lie...I definitely recommend them! And...don't tell anyone I told you...but I was told by several people my dishes were the best out of all the ones made today ;-D

Citrus Green Bean Toss
Inspired by “Sesame-Ginger Asparagus”
Good Housekeeping
Servings: 3

This Asian-inspired dish is full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, plus plenty of color and flavor to please both body and soul!

Ingredients:
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 2 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
• 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
• 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 small garlic clove, minced and divided into 2 piles
• Dash lemon juice
• ½ - 2/3 pound fresh green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 1 cup chopped red cabbage
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
• 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
• ¼ teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Add honey, coconut oil, 1 tablespoon ginger, toasted sesame oil, orange juice, vinegar, half the garlic, and lemon juice to wok – sauté 1-2 minutes.
2. Add green beans, cabbage, sesame seeds, and the rest of the garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Don’t cook so long the cabbage becomes wilted.
3. Add the 1 teaspoon minced ginger and the salt in the last minute of sautéing. Adjust seasonings to taste.
4. Serve as a side dish to complement a protein, such as free-range chicken, salmon, or shellfish.


Curry “Chicken Salad” Nori Wraps
Adapted from “Collard Wraps with Raw Sunflower Pate” by Ali Segersten
Servings: 4 wraps

You will be amazed at how much this raw, vegan alternative really tastes like chicken salad! Quick and easy to make, this recipe can be adapted for any time of the year – simply switch out the fillings to keep it seasonal.


Ingredients:
• 2 cups sunflower seeds, soaked at least 1 hour
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• ½ teaspoon garam masala
• 1 cup chopped celery
• ¼ cup lemon juice
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 4 nori sheets
• 4 small radishes, matchsticked
• 2 cups fresh spinach
• 1 carrot, matchsticked
• ½ cucumber, julienned

Directions:
1. In a small saucepan over medium/low heat, combine coconut oil, curry powder, and garam masala. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until spices become aromatic.
2. In a food processor or blender, pulse sunflower seeds, spice and oil blend, celery, lemon juice, thyme, and salt until fairly smooth, but still slightly chunky (the consistency of a very shredded chicken salad).
3. Lay out nori sheets on a flat surface. Divide the “chicken salad” between the wraps, spreading down center of each sheet. Divide radishes, spinach, carrot, and cucumber between the sheets and add next to the “chicken.”
4. Roll nori fairly snugly against the fillings, folding up the top and bottom halfway through rolling. To make wraps stay sealed, slightly dampen fingertips and run along the outside edge of the sheet immediately before pressing it to the wrap. The moisture should help seal the wrap shut.
5. Slice wraps in half diagonally and serve with a strawberry ginger smoothie.

No comments:

Post a Comment